dictionaries

1. A long time ago, when you decided that you liked foreign languages, you thought one of these would be useful and probably bought one.
很久之前当你决定要学习一门外语时,会认为这些字典很重要,可能还买了一本回来。

search for words

2. But quickly realised that searching for words you don’t know online is actually a lot quicker.
但你很快意识到在网上查生词要快得多。

swear words

3. While you may never open that dictionary, you know that remembering vocabulary is the hardest thing in the world. But that swear word you learnt when you were 10 has never been forgotten.
尽管从没翻开过字典,你知道记单词是世界上最难的事。可是却一直没忘记你10岁时学过的骂人话。

accent

4. You also now know the shortcut to every accent.
现在你知道每种口音的捷径。

buy books

5. You also know the quickest, and cheapest, places to buy translations of the books you were meant to read in the original language.
你知道在哪里能花最少时间买到最便宜的译本——尽管你的最初计划是读原版。

reading

6. But you can probably spin off a couple of recited lines from a French book.
但你也可能从一本法语书里学到几行美句背下来。

11 languages

7. And despite the fact you’ll never match up to this kid who can speak 11 languages…
尽管你永远也赶不上这个会11种语言的孩子……

awesome

8. …you can speak a foreign language and that’s pretty awesome.……
但你至少能学会一门外语,这也很不赖。

travel abroad

9. You probably got the chance to travel abroad, too.
你还有可能得到出国旅游的机会。

act

10. When someone tells you: “OMG You speak [insert language here]”, you act like this.
当有人对你说:“哦天啊,你会说……(某种语言)!” 的时候,你的表情是这样的:

feel

11. Although, secretly, you feel like this.
然而你私底下的感觉是这样:

private conversation

12. And when you overhear someone having a private conversation in the language you’ve learnt, you’ll secretly smile because you know.
当你不小心听到有人用你学过的外语进行私人谈话时,你会偷着乐,因为你知道他们说了些什么。

exciting experience

13. You still get a little excited when you’re walking around and hear someone speaking that language.
当在外面散步时听到有人在用一门你懂的外语说话,你还会小小兴奋一下。

language genius

14. When you go to another country, you always try and learn some phrases. I mean, you’re obviously a language genius. And despite receiving this reaction:
当你去另外一个国家时,你总会试着用到学过的新词组表达。你就是个语言天才,虽然别人的反应可能是这样。